Kerala police have registered a case against BJP MP Maneka Gandhi, after she made false statements based on the killing of a pregnant elephant in the state, which has turned into a communal issue.
Here are five components of the story:
- Malappuram district police chief Abdul Karim IPS said that a First Information Report (FIR) has been registered under section 153 of the Indian Penal Code – wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause a riot.
- The former Union Minister had claimed in a video that the elephant was ‘fed a pineapple filled with a bomb’. Malappuram police have received seven complaints against Maneka Gandhi, and according to the Palakkad SP, the FIR was registered based on a complaint by a person named Jaleel.
- The FIR comes amid Gandhi’s communal remarks that were made when an elephant died in Mallapuram.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had also condemned the attempts to communalize the killing of the pregnant elephant.
- Kareem and Riyazuddin, suspected to be the owners of the estate – are absconding while Wilson who works in an estate in Palakkad has been arrested.